GUIDE TO GETTING CFW ON PS3 VERSION 3.55
Guide objectives :
- Install Custom Firmware 3.55
- Connect to PSN (optional step)
- Install and launch Homebrews
- Transfer files between Computer/PS3
- Play games with managers
Guide Contents & Index:
GUIDE 1: INSTALLING CFW:
- PC Stuff
- PS3 Stuff
GUIDE 2: CONNECTING TO PSN
GUIDE 1: INSTALLING CFW AND BACKUP MANAGER
- PRE-REQUISITES -0) A FAT32 formatted USB drive
[p= ] Most low-capacity USB drives are already FAT32 formatted. If your's isn't, right click on the drive letter of your usb(eg: E:\) and click on Format. Choose FAT32 and Quick Format it.[/p]
1) OFW 3.55(if you don't already have it)
[p= ] Download
MD5 CHECKSUM: ca595ad9f3af8f1491d9c9b6921a8c61
Make a new folder on the root of a usb drive and call it PS3. Make another folder inside it called UPDATE. Put the 3.55 update in here and make sure that it's named, 'PS3UPDAT.PUP'. Now put the usb drive into the PS3 and go to Settings -> System Update and choose Update via Storage Media and press 'X'.[/p]
2) CFWM 1.5 Small Version [32MB]
[p= ] Download
Used for obtaining Custom Firmwares. [/p]
[p= ] BASE
This is currently the best backup manager.[/p]
- PROCEDURE -
- PC STUFF -STEP 0: CREATING A CUSTOM FIRMWARE
Automatic Patching:[p= ]1) Create a new folder on your desktop and call it 'CFWM'. If you downloaded OFW 3.55 earlier, skip step 3 and create a new folder inside this folder called 'Original_3.55_FW'. Copy the PS3UPDAT.PUP to this folder.
2) Extract the .exe from inside the CFWM archive to this folder.
3) Now, open the .exe and choose 'Download 3.55 OFW'.
4) After it has finished, choose any CFW from the 3.55 section and click on Create Custom Firmware 3.55.
NOTE: I recommend Kmeaw's 3.55 CFW.[/p]
Manual patching:(by Cyan)[p= ]1) Download CFWM v1.5 Full version (+batch by Cyan) [152MB]. and create a new folder on your desktop and call it 'CFWM'. Now, extract everything from that archive to this folder.
2) Place the downloaded OFW 3.55 in 'Original_3.55_FW' folder (or OFW 3.41 in 'Original_3.41_FW' folder).
3) Double click on the Batch file corresponding to the cfw you want to create (ex. Kmeaw_3.55.bat) and follow the instructions. Verify that both MD5 hashes are matching at the end of the process.
4) The patched cfw is now available in newly created folder named after the cfw you chose.[/p]
STEP 1: TRANSFERRING EVERYTHING TO THE USB DRIVE
[p= ]Okay, now lets start transferring the CFW and the Backup Manager to the USB drive.
1) On the root of your USB drive, create a new folder called 'PS3'. Now inside 'PS3' create another folder called 'UPDATE'.
2) Go to the 'CFWM' folder and now go to the folder of your chosen CFW.
3) Find the PS3UPDAT.PUP file and copy it to the 'UPDATE' folder which we created.
4) Open the multiMAN archive.
5) Extract multiMAN WT.pkg, USB.CFG and options_default.ini to root of your USB drive.
- PS3 STUFF -STEP 1: INSTALLING KMEAW CFW
[p= ]1) In the XMB, go to Settings -> System Update.
2) Now select Update Via Storage Media.
3) A message will pop-up.
4) Press 'X'.
5) It should install successfully. If you get any errors, try installing it using Recovery Mode.
STEP 2: INSTALLING MULTIMAN BACKUP MANAGER
[p= ]1) In the XMB go to Game -> Install Package Files.
2) Select MultiMAN and install it.
3) If you want to play games with Kmeaw cfw, you need to install this using the 'Install Package Files' option in the Game section of the XMB.
STEP 3: ENABLING NTFS ON MULTIMAN (OPTIONAL)
[title: ENABLING NTFS ON MULTIMAN]
1) Plug your external hdd into your PC and download this.
2) Install usbview and open it.
3) Grab the vendor id and the product id.
4) Now create a new notepad file and put this in 0xVNID:0xPRID:V where VNID is the vendor id and PRID is the product id and V is the number of volumes.
5) Now save it as USB.CFG and copy it over to the root of your USB Drive. If it asks you to replace it, do so.
6) Now download Awesome File Manager and install it on your PS3.
7) Run it and browse to /dev_hdd0/game/BLES80608/USRDIR
8) On the other side you should find a directory that has "USB" in it, the inside directory should have your "USB" file.
9) Highlight it and press O to copy it into MultiMAN USRDIR.
10) Now go back to multiMAN and press Start + /\.
11) The NTFS driver should be activated now.
NOTE: Currently you can only copy from an external NTFS hdd to your internal hdd. Nothing more, nothing less.
-END OF GUIDE 1-
GUIDE 2: CONNECTING TO PSN
-END OF GUIDES-
F.A.Q.(by Cyan)Main questions
Q. Can I use burnt Bluray discs to play games?
[p= ]A. No. Only Internal and External HDD is working with backup managers.[/p]
Q. I updated past 3.55, is there any way to get the 3.55 custom firmware from there?
[p= ]A. No. There's no way to downgrade from 3.56+ firmware yet using a software method. Though, there is a way to downgrade some FAT PS3 involving Infectus modchip.[/p]
Q. I'm on 3.50 or bellow. Do I need to install the Official Firmware 3.55 first?
[p= ]A. Even if installing a cfw3.55 over an old fw should work, it's recommended that you update your PS3 to the same Official Firmware as the cfw you want to install first to avoid bricking your console.[/p]
Q. I'm on 3.41 or bellow and don't want to update to 3.55, do I really need to install 3.55 to use a cfw?
[p= ]A. No, you can install Hermes cfw 3.41 (please update to ofw 3.41v2 first) and follow the guide the same way. Just don't install the Version Spoofer from Team Rebug (It only works on 3.55).[/p]
Q. I'm already using a cfw but I want to change for Kmeaw 3.55
[p= ]A. First re-install the ofw 3.55 over your current one, then follow the guide again.[/p]
Q. How big should be my USB drive just to install it, not to play back ups?
[p= ]A. Around 200mb.[/p]
Q. Where can I find all previous Official Firmware and their MD5 hash ?
[p= ]A. Sony removed previous firmwares from their servers when the first jailbreak method appeared. You can still find remaining links and all the informations here.[/p]
Q. The program doesn't start.
[p= ]A. You need .Net framework 4.0.[/p]
Q. Where can I find .net4.0 ?
[p= ]A. Here
Q. I don't want to install .Net4.0. How can I still patch the firmware?
[p= ]A. You can use bspatch program to patch the firmware manually. Follow the manual patching method in the Guide.[/p]
Q. Can Sony ban my PSN account?
[p= ]A. Yes, as Sony can't ban your Console ID, they can ban your account. But you can always create a new account, while unbanning the PS3 itself will be harder.[/p]
Q. Can I play online with all games?
[p= ]A. You can't play online anymore. You need the 3.62+ official firmware to connect to PSN.[/p]
Q. FuckPSN is not working, what can I do?
[p= ]A. You need .net Framework 3.5, and if you are using a firewall you need to open these ports : 53 UDP, 80 TCP and 443 TCP. You may need to close Skype.[/p]
Q. When I press start+triangle to enable NTFS it freezes
[p= ]A. Your NTFS partition needs to be primary and active.[/p]